Henry Ford Health Cyber Security Workshop (Oct 9)
At Henry Ford Health, the safety of patients and employees is of the utmost importance, including cyber safety and security. Henry Ford Health also recognizes the importance of diversity in cyber security and wants to connect with diverse, woman-owned IT and cyber security businesses.
Join us on October 9 as we talk about:
• the importance of cyber security
• the critical role our supplier partners play in cyber security
• why cyber security matters in securing contracts with Henry Ford
• your business in the cyber security space
• Q&A with Henry Ford cyber security professionals
Please register by emailing your company name and the name of your attendee(s) to [email protected] by October 4, 2023.
Wellness & Beauty Consumer Products Summit (Oct 24)
MEDC's Pure Michigan Business Connect (PMBC) and the City of Southfield have joined forces to present a highly anticipated Wellness & Beauty Consumer Product Summit on October 24th. With the objective of fostering invaluable connections and knowledge exchange, PMBC is proud to offer a platform where wellness and beauty brands can engage with esteemed industry professionals and prospective buyers. By spotlighting Michigan's thriving community of micro-makers and manufacturers, this summit is poised to cultivate stronger and enduring business relationships within the ecosystem, fortifying the state's reputation as a hub of innovation and entrepreneurial excellence.
WHAT TO EXPECT:
The Summit will feature a wellness and beauty consumer product makers' expo, vetted by an application process. We are excited to provide 10-15 selected suppliers with the opportunity to set up their expo booths, allowing them to present their innovative offerings to a discerning audience. Please note the application for the pitch competition and expo vendor booths is now closed, though general registration to attend the event is still available.
General attendees can visit makers at their expo booths and hear pitch participants tell their stories to an esteemed panel of judges. The event will also feature a fireside chat with a special guest: Vesna Deljosevic, president of Reforma Group, who will discuss best practices, do's and don'ts of the industry, and “How She's Become a Success,” moderated by Dan Randomski from Centrepolis.
General attendees should register by October 1 at https://pmbc.connect.space/
State of Michigan Roundtable Meeting (Oct 30)
State of Michigan Procurement is inviting Michigan-based businesses and business owners to participate in their next MiSC + Geographically Disadvantaged Businesses Enterprise Roundtable. The roundtable will include an open discussion and will be an important opportunity for business owners and individuals to provide valuable feedback that can be used to benefit geographically disadvantaged businesses across the state of Michigan. Register today by clicking here!
Kent County Business & Purchasing Networking Event (Nov 1)
Are you a Michigan supplier interested in doing business with Kent County? Join the Michigan Economic Development Corporation’s Pure Michigan Business Connect (PMBC) team and the Kent County Purchasing Division for a no-cost Kent County Purchasing & Business Networking Event. This event includes several opportunities to meet with Kent County and engage in informational networking with Kent County business resource partners. The event will be held in-person at the DeVos Convention Center in Grand Rapids, a virtual attendance option will also be available. Kent County is located in West Michigan and seeks a qualified and diverse vendor database to provide goods and services. Businesses do NOT need to be in West Michigan to participate; opportunities are open to statewide businesses.
The County is looking to add qualified vendors in the following trades:
- Administrative, Financial & Management Services
- Residential and Construction Services
- Asbestos & Lead Abatement Services
- Excavating Services
- Heavy Industrial Equipment
- Janitorial Services
- Lawn Care Services
- Paving & Striping Services
- Skilled Trade Services (roofers, masons, electricians, plumbers, HVAC, etc.)
- Communication Equipment & Services
However, opportunities are not limited to these service categories. Kent County is also interested in learning about other supplier service/product capabilities.
There is no cost to attend but registration is required. For additional event detail and registration, visit https://pmbc.connect.
Walbridge's Built For Opportunity Event (Nov 8)
Please join Walbridge for their special Built For Opportunity - Orlando Meet & Greet on Wednesday, Nov. 8 at the Lake Mary Events Center! Built For Opportunity is a chance for Walbridge's customers, diverse suppliers, subcontractors, vendors, and more to meet and get to know one another and discuss upcoming opportunities in the market.
Constructed on Walbridge's history of Supplier Diversity, Built For Opportunity events have helped establish relationships between vendors, contractors, and customers. Those relationships have further helped us construct projects across the country. RSVP today by clicking here!
Allstate 2023 Business Diversity Summit (Nov 13-17)
Advocating for diverse supplier success is needed now more than ever as many businesses are suffering in the aftermath of COVID and inflation. With research showing that women and minority-owned businesses are the largest employers of other women and minorities, there are ripple effects impacting our communities.
We’re inviting you to join us (virtually) at the 2023 Allstate Business Diversity Summit: Leading by Example: Accelerating Impact in the Community, November 13-17. We will have interactive and thought-provoking sessions with Allstate colleagues, other Fortune 500 corporate executives, and leading business diversity experts who will discuss opportunities for corporations, minority-owned businesses, and minority business councils to work together to create economic impact for our respective businesses and communities.
Allstate has been at the forefront of advancing equity through our support and partnerships with minority suppliers for over 56 years. We held our first minority and women’s supplier fair in 1967. In 1973, we formalized our diversity supplier program and began hosting an annual business development day. Last year we went bigger and bolder and launched a week-long Business Diversity Summit that brought together corporate executives, government officials, business development council leaders, and diverse business owners to drive minority supplier success.
Don’t miss this year’s Summit as Allstate and other Fortune 500 companies share how supporting diverse businesses creates business value, strengthens communities, and creates jobs, and your role in making this possible. We look forward to having you join us!
Meet the Buyer Presented by State of Michigan Procurement (Nov 16)
Are you interested in selling your products or services to The State of Michigan?
State of Michigan Procurement is inviting Michigan-based businesses to participate in our upcoming Meet the Buyer event. The event is set for November 16, 2023 from 12:30 to 4:00 p.m. in Lansing, Michigan at Lansing Community College's West Campus facility.
Our Meet the Buyer event is a "speed dating" style event. Vendors will be able to connect with state government purchasing professionals from multiple departments in short 10-minute sessions. You'll have time to share with the State what you sell, ask questions, and learn about our procurement processes directly from buyers. You’ll connect with multiple buyers across different agencies throughout the afternoon in a fast-paced environment. This event will provide an up-tempo and innovative way for you to make the State's buyers from multiple departments aware of the goods and services you sell.
This event focuses on vendors who do not currently hold a State of Michigan contract. We encourage you to register if you are new to the State’s purchasing process and are looking to explore contracting with the government. We’re hoping to connect with Michigan's vibrant business community and learn about who you are and what you can do.
We look forward to meeting you and exploring the potential of working together! Register today for the Meet the Buyer Event with State of Michigan Procurement.
International Trade Updates from Pure Michigan Business Connect
- Ongoing recruitment: Automation Alley trade mission to Mexico, October 15-20, 2023. Multi-industry. The deadline to register is August 15.
** Note: Several companies have already submitted interest early so this mission may fill up quickly.
- MI-STEP grant: Significant interest from the business community so far this year in MI-STEP grant funds, with over $2.5 million in approved applications. MI-STEP funding is likely to run out before end of the fiscal year, September 30, 2023. Any businesses seeking to utilize funds to grow international sales are encouraged to connect ASAP with their International Trade Manager.
- Trade event recruitment: We will have a full slate of trade missions and trade shows for FY24, pending confirmation of our FY24 budget. Companies interested in joining should connect with their International Trade Manager to confirm interest and determine eligibility.
- November 13-16, 2023: MEDICA, Germany – medical device
- November 13-17, 2023: Rebuild Ukraine trade show + mission, Poland – engineering, infrastructure
- January 9-12, 2024: Pitti Uomo, Italy – menswear fashion
- January 29-February 1, 2024: India trade mission – multi-industry
- February 20-22, 2024: Queretaro Automotive Meetings, Mexico
- April 22-26, 2024: Vietnam & Philippines trade mission – multi-industry
- May 6-10, 2024: Australia trade mission (NZ optional, May 13-14) – multi-industry
- May 13-16, 2024: UK & Netherlands trade mission – multi-industry
- June 17-21, 2024: Eurosatory, France – defense
- Region 10: PMBC is currently in the process of hiring a new International Trade Manager in Region 10, covering Oakland and Wayne counties to backfill the retirement of David Newhouse. In the meantime, companies in these areas are encouraged to connect with [email protected] to speak with a member of our team for export support. A new team member is expected to be announced in early-mid August.
Great Lakes Women's Business Council
- Business Growth. 10-session program for WBE, MBE, and DBEs to understand how to use their certification, including pitch-prep, deck-prep, and capabilities statements. Looking for referrals and suppliers in Wayne County. https://www.greatlakeswbc.org/
- Sept 26-27 – GLWBC Conference. Contact @Shelly Hyland if you are interested in being a resource partner and or to be a guest.
- Loans up to $75,000 for those who can't get traditional financing. https://www.greatlakeswbc.org/
Great Lakes Women’s Business Annual Conference (Sept. 26-27)
Save the Dates for September 26th & 27th for the Great Lakes Women’s Business Annual Conference! Registration will open in July 2023. Stay tuned.
The 2023 Great Lakes Women’s Business Conference brings together 1,000+ certified women-owned businesses from around the country, corporate and government supplier diversity, and procurement professionals. The conference addresses the needs of emerging and established business owners. Learn more and follow for updates by clicking here!
MEDC Michigan Main Street Solution Center
The Michigan Main Street program is committed to providing ongoing support and technical assistance to communities as they seek to revitalize and manage their traditional downtowns and commercial districts. Our focus has been to create a comprehensive collection of best practices, case studies, guides, and videos on the challenges and solutions in the world of downtown and commercial district preservation and economic development.
Follow these steps to start using the Main Street Solution Center today!
- Watch our webinar for an overview of the Top 40 Downtown and District Management Best Practices (Slide Deck | Recording)
- Download the Solution Center Catalog
- Use the Solution Center Scorecard in each section of the Catalog to evaluate your organization's performance, strengths, growth opportunities, and areas of need, and to identify the tools and resources that could provide inspiration and help take your organization to the next level
- Explore the Solution Center to find the tools and resources that match your organization's development priorities
Questions on any particular document should be directed to Michigan Main Street Staff ([email protected]). If you don't find what you're looking for here, we encourage you to contact MMS Staff to talk further about your needs. Find more information about the program here.
The National Institute for Sewn Trades Is Here to Serve You!
Industry 4.0 Grants
MEDC's Industry 4.0 grant program will provide 50% reimbursement for qualifying I4.0 technology costs up to $25,000. Learn more: https://www.michiganbusiness.
Michigan Women Forward Launch New Business Microloan Program
Michigan Women Forward (MWF), a certified community development financial institution (CDFI), announces the launch of a new $10 million microbusiness loan program for women and entrepreneurs of color in Michigan. The Michigan Economic Opportunity Fund will lend to individuals who don’t qualify for traditional loans through banks or other financial institutions.
Women and entrepreneurs of color can apply for Michigan Economic Opportunity Fund loans by visiting www.miwf.org. All applicants must submit an application form, demographic information, personal financial statements, business plan with projections, and other supporting documentation for consideration. Questions about the program can be emailed to [email protected] or by calling 313-962-1920.
HerRise Micro-Grant Opportunity
The HerRise Micro-Grant provides financial assistance, with the help of our corporate sponsors and donors, to women of color creating innovative solutions that impact their community and that are often unable to secure funding for their small businesses. Each month a $500 micro-grant will be awarded to a small business owned by women of color. Find more info and apply today at https://www.hersuitespot.com/herrise/