Who We Are:
WTVS Detroit Public Television (DPTV) is the viewer-supported PBS member station serving the nation’s 11th largest television market. We operate Channels 56.1, 56.2 and 56.3, and are carried on cable and satellite systems throughout Southeast Michigan and over a thousand communities in Canada. We also operate WRCJ 90.9 FM, the classical and jazz radio station licensed to the Detroit Public Schools. Our vision is to educate, entertain and inspire, in partnership with our community.
DPTV is notably active in the community producing local programs that showcase arts, culture, news and analysis; and educational outreach campaigns that use the power of media to provide knowledge and understanding.
Detroit Public TV is built on relationships, and fosters the relationships it has with employees. We are committed to providing a creative and professional work environment with comprehensive benefits to support a positive work environment. We strive to maintain a diverse workplace representing the communities that we serve.
We are actively pursuing dynamic and diverse team members to join us in the role of Board Relations Manager in Wixom, MI.
What You’ll Do:
The Board Relations Manager is the primary liaison between the station and its governing body, Detroit Public Television’s Board of Trustees. This position actively recruits Board Trustees and ensures ongoing active engagement between the Board and the Station through matching individual interests with the station’s mission and strategy. The Board Relations Manager leads the administration, engagement, and fundraising activities relating to the Board of Trustees and its committees.
- Act as the primary liaison for the Station with each Board Trustee to coordinate communications regarding interests in content categories, donor referrals, introductions to business and community leaders, fundraising, and Trustees’ special requests for programs, premiums, tickets, meet-and-greets, etc.
- Develop relationships with Trustees to become the resident expert on their interests and connections.
- Work with Communications Department and social networks to maximize positive name association with Board members including press releases, articles for local papers, Board webpage, and Signal magazine and testimonial taping of Trustees.
- Assist the Executive Management Team and the Board Nominating Committee Chair in Board of Trustee candidate research, recruitment, orientation, and retention.
- Assist Major Giving Staff with Board and Major Giving events and Board nights in pledge drives including all preparation and follow-up.
- Coordinate solicitations and personal acknowledgments of Trustees’ annual gifts and support, including handling all aspects of the Board annual campaign: solicitation, merging and printing of letters, tracking responses and total giving, acknowledging, etc.
- Ensure all connections, meetings, lunches and discussion topics are maintained in Salesforce.
- Develop Candidate Fundraising Profile and Strategy for the Nominating Committee Liaison
- Interface with the Chairman of the Board and Committee Chairs in order to: Confirm and create agendas, ensure achievement of prior meeting action items, develop meeting content and materials, and ensure effective meeting execution.
- Coordinate meeting times, locations and notifications on the DPTV website ensuring compliance with the Open Meetings Act; send meeting invitations; coordinate catering, room set-up, conference lines, and recording as required.
- Document and maintain Board and committee meeting minutes, including decisions made and action items assigned.
- Draft communications from station personnel to the Board highlighting station activities and other matters of interest.
- Coordinate relevant meetings between staff members and Trustees to ensure appropriate use of Trustees time and commitment.
- Maintain current and former Board Trustee data in Salesforce.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and proven ability to foster effective working relationships with Board members, executive and senior staff members, major donors, and development staff.
- Excellent organizational, administrative, and written communication skills.
- Ability to prioritize and solve problems effectively.
- Ability to plan, organize and coordinate special events and meetings.
- Bachelor degree in Marketing, Communications, Business, Government or related field preferred
- 2+ years of experience in philanthropic fundraising
- 5+ years of experience in a board relations position preferred
- Previous experience with Salesforce preferred
- Previous experience in a non-profit organization preferred
- Passion for public media required
Individual must be able to type, and sit behind a desk for extended periods of time. Must be able to work a flexible schedule as needed to attend station and community events, pledge nights, as well as donor breakfasts, dinners, etc.
Individual is exposed to a typical office setting with computer equipment.
What You’ll Get:
- Excellent benefits package that includes 403(b) employer match, medical, dental, vision and much more.
- Opportunities to participate in personal and professional development programs.
- Opportunities to serve our mission and community.
- Great work environment.
How to Apply:
Send resume and cover letter to: [email protected]
WTVS Detroit Public Television
1 Clover Court
Wixom, MI 48393-2247
*No telephone calls or third parties. Please include the title of the position in the subject line of the email.
Detroit Public Television is an equal opportunity employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability status, marital status, military status, or protected veteran status. Employment decisions at Detroit Public Television will be based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. The specific statements above are not intended to be all inclusive.